Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Body's Many Cries for Water

Longterm THWART-Not drinking the daily recommended amount of water. Consequences: ...Hold on to your pants... here we go!
You hear over and over that water is important. WHY?

diagram from mayo clinic- Thanks guys!
I heard of this book below but havent read it: Has anyone read it that can give feedback?

The Body's Many Cries For Water by Fereydoon Batamanghelidj (what a clever title! haha!) the excerpt tells you alot of what you need to know.
"The main idea of the book is that thirst is just one of many of the body's ways of indicating that it needs water; he attributes a wide range of diseases as alternate symptoms of dehydration, including asthma, angina, dyspepsia, obesity, and numerous others. The cure to dehydration is simple: drink more water."

Health benefits of water
Water makes up, 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water.
For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.

How much do you NEED?
Well- you lose 2.5 liters a day from bodily functions. That's more then a 2 Liter of Pop- Can you Imagine?!? Dang! Each day that you don't replace that you are dehydrating yourself. Look below for the consequences.
REMBEMBER 8x8 -->8 8oz glasses of water or a 2 liter :) If you're working out, and even if you're not- drinking these fluids pushes all the crap out of your system like fat and toxins- I love that idea!
Pregos- 2.3 liters so a little more then a 2 liter of pop size.
Milk Mommas- supposed to drink 3.1 Liters!!!! If you think about it you're loosing alot of liquids every day. That means 21/2 liters of pop size for you ladies!

REMEMBER- If you are sick or live in hot climates you need MORE WATER-

CAFFIENE is a diuretic- it sucks all the water out of your cells, and can make you dehydrated if you don't replace it. So you need even more water if you drink anything with caffiene in it.


Consequences!?! (water drinking slackers)
Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired. Don't forget OBESITY.. sigh... I know there are alot of moms out there. Don't you want to fuel yourself with as much energy as possible?! Get Drinking Ladies!
P.s. you can run into kidney and bladder problems as well.


Confession: Although Water is my favorite drink (about 95% of what I drink), I get bored with it, while sitting at work, and i hate having to pee every 30 minutes. How do you make water less boring but still stay in the water family? One thing I've found:
Fruit Punch is my fav flav. Any other ideas of spicing up drinking so much water!?!?
ANY OTHER WATER FACTS TIPS OR IDEAS TO ADD? PLEASE DO!!!
DWG-Drink my 8x8(aka pitch a tent in the bathroom) Do the wii fit-uh... didn't do it last time. Jog/walk for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. The more I drink, the more I pee, but also, the more I thirst for it. I never craved water before, but now i do. My friend also told me that if I ever feel snacky, or right before dinner, drink two full glasses of water. If you still want to eat a snack, do it, but you won't gorge, and if it is before dinner you are more apt to eat appropriate portions. My other friend who is a trainer read an article said that if you are trying to loose weight you should take your current weight and divide by two. so here is the ugly truth. I weigh 195, so I divide by 200. So I get 100, and you should drink that many ounces of water a day. so I drink 100 ounces of water a day. Man I have to pee, but I feel better, and less hungry. Cool facts, I like the mayo clinic diagram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep lemon slices in the fridge to add to my water. Sounds boring, but it's amazing how quickly I suck it down after squeezing that little piece of fruit in it.

    ReplyDelete